Rolls-Royce Manufacturing Plant & Headquarters
West Sussex, UK
Grimshaw’s Manufacturing Plant and Head Office for Rolls-Royce Motor Cars Ltd is a partially sunken development comprising three main buildings: a pavilion for housing administration and customer relations facilities, an assembly plant and a paint shop. Placing great emphasis on sensitive landscaping and the use of environmentally friendly production techniques, the resulting project is a set of contemporary buildings that work in harmony with one another and with their natural setting.
The architectural designs are orientated around a central courtyard. Daylight, views and finely detailed facades are not limited to the areas seen by visitors, but are common to the entire complex of buildings which demonstrate a varied palette of 'industrial' and largely sustainable materials. The extensive planting of some 400,000 new trees and shrubs and sedum green-roofing ensures that it is difficult to detect where the boundaries lie between the built and natural environments. The plant subsequently achieved the highest BREEAM rating of Excellent.
- Rolls-Royce Motor Cars / Hireus Limited
- 55,000 sq m
- Completion Date:
- Selected Awards
- L'Architettura Automatica 2005 First Prize
- 11th AIA London / UK Excellence in Design Award
- Royal Institute of British Architects Awards
- Royal Fine Art Commission Building of the Year Awards
- MIPIM Architectural Review Future Project Awards 2005
- Photography by Edmund Sumner/View