New York, NY, USA
Situated in the heart of Lower Manhattan, the Fulton Center is a dynamic transport environment streamlining connections between eleven subway lines for up to 300,000 daily passengers.
Organized around a large-scale atrium contained within an elegant, transparent façade, the center draws inspiration from the neighborhood’s cast iron buildings and incorporates the restored 1888 Corbin Building. Carefully aligned entrances allow the streetscape to permeate the building, offering clear and efficient pathways to the train platforms below. Once underground, passengers encounter brighter, widened passageways, new elevators and clear signage.
The atrium ascends to 110 feet, topped by a conical dome centered on the concourse below. A canted glass oculus intersects the dome, flooding the atrium with natural light whose effect is magnified by an integrated artwork, Sky Reflector-Net.
The Fulton Center fulfills a significant civic role, offering a memorable urban experience that nods to history while supporting the region’s growth.
- Arup / MTA – New York City Transit
- 34,003 sq m / 366,000 sq ft
- Completion Date:
- Selected Awards
- MASterworks Award: ‘Best New Building’
- Center for Active Design: Excellence Award
- AJ120: Building of the Year
- AJ120: Architectural Collaboration of the Year Award with James Carpenter Design Associates
- AIA NYS Design Award
- MIPIM Architectural Review Future Project Awards
- Images courtesy of James Ewing; Fulton Center Video © Metropolitan Transportation Authority. Produced by R. Trimiew. Used with permission.